Before you start exercising, consider the following. If you answer YES to any of the questions, be sure to check with your doctor before you start any new activities. Also, talk with your doctor if it's been a long time since you've been active at all, or if you have a lot of weight to lose - even if you don't answer YES to any of the questions.
- Has your doctor ever told you that you have a heart problem of any kind?
- Do you ever experience chest pain during physical exercise?
- Do you have fainting spells or experience severe dizziness?
- Have you experienced any chest pain in the last month?
- Are any of your bones or joints aggravated by exercise?
- Are you taking medication for high blood pressure or a heart condition?
- Are you aware of any other physical problems that might influence your ability to become active?
Read our comprehensive safety tips